Green tea is arguably the healthiest drink on the planet. It contains high levels of Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG) which provides much of the antioxidant powers in green tea.
Chinese and Japanese green tea are the most well known green teas, and recommended is match green tea, which is higher in EGCG content)
Here are some health benefits of drinking green tea:
1. Green Tea Contains Bioactive Compounds That Improve Health
- It is high in polyphenols, which help reduce inflammation and cancer
- The catechins prevent cell damage and provide other benefits such as, reducing the formation of free radicals in the body, protecting cells and molecules from damage. These free radicals are known to play a role in aging and all sorts of diseases.
2. Compounds in Green Tea Can Improve Brain Function and Make You Smarter
- Out of all teas, green tea has the highest caffeine content, however not as high as coffee.
- promotes improvements in various aspects of brain function, including improved mood, vigilance, reaction time and memory
- Contains L-theanine, which increases the activity of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA, which has anti-anxiety effects. It also increases dopamine and the production of alpha waves in the brain
3. Green Tea Increases Fat Burning and Improves Physical Performance
- it is shown to increase metabolic rate and fat burning due to the high caffeine content
- increase fat oxidation and energy expenditure due to the mobilization of fatty acids from fat tissues
4. Antioxidants in Green Tea May Lower Your Risk of Some Types of Cancer
- since it is high in antioxidants, it may help reduce such cancers as: Breast, Prostrate and Colorectal.
5. Green Tea May Protect Your Brain in Old Age, Lowering Your Risk of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's
- the high levels of catechins help combat these diseases
6. Green Tea Can Kill Bacteria, Which Improves Dental Health and Lowers Your Risk of Infection
- studies show that they can kill bacteria and inhibit viruses like the influenza virus, potentially lowering your risk of infections
7. Green Tea May Lower Your Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Studies show that green tea can improve insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels
8. Green Tea May Reduce Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
- Studies show that green tea can improve some of the main risk factors for these diseases.This includes total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides
9. Green Tea Can Help You Lose Weight and Lower Your Risk of Obesity
- Several studies show that green tea leads to decreases in body fat, especially in the abdominal area
10. Green Tea May Help You Live Longer
- In a study of 40,530 Japanese adults, those who drank the most green tea (5 or more cups per day) were significantly less likely to die during an 11 year period (55):